Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Book
Well, what's yours and tell me why?

Mine is definately "The Guns of the South".
This book is extremely mature and very heavy reading. However it's a great story.

Basic overview
Wikipedia Wrote:It is March 1864, and the Confederacy is losing the war with the United States. Men with strange accents and oddly mottled clothing approach Robert E. Lee at the headquarters of the Army of Northern Virginia, demonstrating a rifle far superior to all other firearms of the time. The men call their organization "America Will Break" (or "AWB"), and offer to supply the Confederate army with these rifles, which they refer to as AK-47s. The weapons operate on chemical and engineering principles unknown to Confederate military engineers.

Soldiers are trained by the AWB men to use their new weapons, and ammunition is issued. Confederate morale improves considerably as the men prepare to meet Union forces in the 1864 campaign. They soon engage General Grant's men at the Second Battle of the Wilderness, and easily win with their new weaponry.

The AWB continue to offer inexplicable information and technology to the Confederacy, even providing Lee with nitroglycerin pills, which ease his frequent chest pains. Finally, Lee confronts them and learns that they are time travelers from the year 2014, the 21st-century. The newcomers claim that white supremacy has not endured to the modern era, and that blacks in the future will eclipse whites. Lee is informed that unless a slave-holding South is allowed to endure into the 20th century, blacks will take over the world. A slave-owner himself, Lee is shocked by this revelation—he never thought Negroes capable of participating in government.

With the AWB's guns and some direct military aid from the racist South Africans, the Confederacy eventually captures Washington, D.C., thus ending the Civil War. England and France recognize the Confederacy and the President Lincoln is forced to accept Southern victory. Now the Confederacy has to determine its future political and social direction.

Confederate slaves freed during the war by Union troops violently resist returning to slavery. Lee, already dubious about slavery and respectful of the courage of the United States Colored Troops during the war, is convinced that continuing to enslave Negroes is both wrong and impracticable. The genie is already out of the bottle, and black guerrillas will continue to make trouble in the future. Some parts of the South had already lost many of their slaves during the war anyway. Despite threats by the Rivington men, Lee makes no effort to hide his views as he runs for president in 1867. The Rivington men convince Nathan Bedford Forrest to run against Lee on a pro-slavery ticket, and pour their considerable resources into Forrest's campaign. Lee, however, manages a narrow victory.

At Lee's inauguration, AWB men attempt to assassinate him, resulting in the death of Lee's wife, Mary; various dignitaries and generals; and many civilians. The AWB offices in Richmond are seized after a bloody battle, and Lee enters the stronghold to find more technological marvels (such as light bulbs), along with a collection of books that document the increasing marginalization of racism from 1865 into the 21st century. Lee shows these books to Confederate congressmen, hoping that the future's nearly universal condemnation of slavery will convince the congressmen to vote for his plan for gradual abolition.

Confederate forces surround the town of Rivington and after a long siege capture the remaining AWB. Their time machine is destroyed during the fighting. The Confederate Congress passes President Lee's abolition bill. Contemporaries have reproduced the nitroglycerin pills brought by the AWB, and Lee hopes, with their help, to live to see the effects of his plan for emancipation. Meanwhile, a few of the stranded South Africans agree to help the Confederacy replicate their 21st century technology from 2014,(as Lee fears the Union might want vengence against the Confederacy and already have their duplicate of the AK-47) ensuring that the Confederacy will be the most technologically-advanced nation in the world for many decades to come.
Interesting thread, however I don't like reading in that aspect, I only like it to learn or short stories.
I really don't have a favorite book. I read pretty much anything though.
Favorite book, I couldnt tell you.

However I have got Favorite series

The Andy McNab series (Nick stone ones)
The Hunger Games series (very addictive)
The Black Magician Triology
Stieg Larsson's series
I don' like reading books or more like hate reading them (don't know why tho)... I only like to read newspapers, magazines... Things that include interesting things like science, universe, animals... I am more like an action type of person so I rather just watch a movie Tongue
I like Shakespeare's Secret... It's a very fascinating book regarding the "myth" that William Shakespeare was being helped by a what you would call "poor" person. There is some evidence in real life today that supports this, but not enough to convince the whole world that William Shakespeare was just a fake, just a impostor of the real "Shakespeare" who's talents were never revealed during his time.

~ Biasa199
My favourit book is Holy Quran the Holy Quran is the bst holy book in the World. It has not been changed from its original form. Everyword in it is the truth. The Holy Quran is not just a book, it is the instructions for life. It is the most beautiful book in the world. There is information in the Quran that science has proven right over and over again, but still people do not beleive.